Thursday, June 16, 2011

Supernatural Soundtracks

A thought popped into my mind a few months ago, and I've tried to pass it off to others to blog about to no avail. So, I'll take a stab at it myself.

The thought is this: What type(s) of music do you associate with various supernatural/paranormal creatures? I don't read or watch a whole lot of supernatural/paranormal, but from my limited experience, this is what I've come up with.

Zombies - The only thing that readily comes to mind is Michael Jackson's "Thriller". (Haha - I know, cheap shot but I couldn't pass that one up.)

Vampires - I associate vampires with two things; classical music and whatever was popular when and where each was turned. I can see a 1920s-turned vampire continuing his/her interest in jazz, a Fifteenth Century vampire that still digs Gregorian chants, or an early 1990s vampire with a burning love for Nirvana & Pearl Jam.

Were-wolves - Despite the long lifespans were-wolves seem capable of, I see were-wolves as completely classic rock/ heavy metal guys (and girls). It's really all there in the song titles:
Bad Company - "Running with the pack"
Ozzy Osborne - "Bark at the moon"
Guns 'n' Roses - "Welcome to the jungle"
Duran Duran - "Hungry like the wolf"

Agree? Disagree? Think I'm out of my mind? What music do you associate with the things that go bump in the night? Let's here your ideas.

5 comments:

  1. From the awesome Torideaux via twitter:
    Werewolves - Bad Moon on the rise
    Vampires - Anything from the Lost Boys soundtrack
    Zombies - RamaLamaBangBang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! By the way, absolutely LOVE Guns n Roses and Bad Company. Typically, for anything paranormal it would be metal or alternative music to me. Haunting melodies like Evanescence probably!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have to comment on this one.

    Zombies - Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

    Vampires - The Toadies' "Possum Kingdom"

    And surprisingly, I don't yet have a song for werewolves, which is funny, considering I claim to be one with my lupus. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. *squick* You DIDN'T just lump Duran Duran with heavy metal, did you?

    Sorry, my brain just wobbled for a moment.

    For some reason, I associate Enya, Clannad and Loreena McKennit with elves and faye people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My soon-to-be released zombie bride story is the only book I've ever created a soundtrack for. It had a lot of Oingo Boingo, a little Nirvana, and Olivia Newton-John's "Magic."

    ReplyDelete